Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Poem: Aurora 58: Survivors in Hope, Selflessness and Defiance

I'm a survivor!
The cacophony 
of violence
did not win!
Unhinged cruelty,
answered
with selflessness -
The welfare
and safety
of others,
placed above own.
I stood resolute,
in the midst 
of the fear
and despair
of unfolding tragedy.
The moment of violation,
a frozen
and haunting 
memory -
a witness,
to inconceivable 
depravity.
A deep
and vulnerable scar
remains.
I stand tall,
in defiance,
to the hate
and rage,
of my attacker.
I am slowly healed,
by the love
and support,
within 
and without,
that surrounds me -
From faith,
family,
friends
and strangers.
Each day born,
embraced,
with bravery 
and courage.
A conviction,
in the worth 
and common decency,
of the human soul,
was not lost!
Instead,
fortified.





No comments:

Post a Comment